TRAIL UPDATES AND WORK PARTIES
Submitted by Kathy Redden
Horse Camp at River Road – Santa Margarita Lake
This project was scheduled to be at the Planning Commission meeting on March 26, 2020, but the meeting has been cancelled due to the Shelter-at-Home order. When re-rescheduled, this item will be placed on the consent agenda, which means it will automatically be approved unless someone calls it out for a hearing, meaning that it will be discussed by the Planning Commissioners with public comment. The County Parks Planner does not foresee that someone will call it out for a hearing. Once the project is approved, there is a 10-day appeal period until we can re-start the project. Information on when the hearing will be rescheduled will be provided as I get
CCCMB Workdays: All workdays are cancelled at this time.
Pismo Preserve Update
The Pismo Preserve is still open, with social distancing being required. I am not sure of the status of Horse Trailer Tuesdays on the first and third Tuesday of each month during the Shelter-In-Place order. Either way, once things settle back down, volunteers will be needed. If you are interested, contact Sharon Jantzen at SLO Horse News
firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, I encourage you to ride there (remembering to reserve your parking space in advance). To register for a parking space: https://lcslo.org/pismo-preserve-equestrian-parking-registration/
It is strongly recommended to not bring green or otherwise timid or
inexperienced horses or riders. Many of the trails are single track with steep hillsides and all are multi-use, except for two hiker-only segments.
Diablo Canyon Decommissioning Engagement
I listened to the on-line meeting on March 11 and submitted comments for making the 12,000 acres to become open space with trails, with
protection for sensitive and cultural resource areas.
A primary concern has become regarding the Tribal Land Transfer Policy, that the CPUC recently adopted. The guidelines have not yet been set. The only scheduled public workshop is an on-line meeting on March 24, per the notification sent out by email. This public workshop is in Brooks, CA. I am encouraging people to submit comments to the CPUC
requesting that they should hold a workshop in SLO County, as we are directly impacted with the pending closure of Diablo Canyon. This
workshop should be held prior to the adoption of the new policy
Submit your comments to:
and cc: them to: www.diablocanyonpanel.org
You can visit the CPUC website to learn more:
Reminder: When the trails are wet, please stay off them! Give them time to dry out before riding.